Friday, September 23, 2011

1998 Toyota Avalon belts?

I went to a Jiffy Lube for an oil change and they recommended I get my Serpentine belt replaced. I go to Pep Boys later to do that and they say, %26quot;Your car doesn't have a Serpentine belt. But your Alternator Drive belt and Power Steering Belt need changing.%26quot; So I tell them to go for it. THEN my dad tells me a mechanic friend of his recommened I get my Timing Belt changed. I refer to my manual and it tells me NOTHING about ANY belts. Help!
1998 Toyota Avalon belts?
Your 1998 Avalon most certainly came with a serpentine style (multi-ribbed) belt for the a/c and alternator drive, and a second one for the power steering! The Gates part number for the alt/ac is K060407, and for the ps is K040347. Timing belt is another (unrelated to your serp belts) part, and is being recommended as a preventative maintenance item. A broken timing belt will leave you stranded, but will not destroy the valves %26amp; pistons like some engines do when they break a timing belt. If you decide to have the timing belt done, do the water pump, too. Saves the time of getting in there twice down the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment