Friday, September 23, 2011

1995 plymouth voyager van squealing after serpentine belt change?

I've been driving my grandmother's van while I save up some money to get myself a car. Now, I'm totally grateful that she's letting me use it, but she's basically NEVER done any maintenance on this thing. Seriously, we pulled out lawn mower spark plugs from it? And the serpentine belt was getting munched so I had it changed and come to find out it was the one it came with originally! This sucker has 100k on it so....



Anyway, I'm in college and saving like I said so I don't have hundreds of dollars to thrown down on on it if it's going to start falling apart. Before the belt change, it didn't squeal or anything, no problems. Now, when the heater is on, OR if I turn the wheel it squeals horribly. It also does this if it's in park and you turn the wheel either way. The power steering also seems to be going out... Does it seem the belt is probably loose? I had it done at Jiffy Lube so I think I'll bring it back for them to look at.
1995 plymouth voyager van squealing after serpentine belt change?
Take it back to Jiffy Lube...they probably put the belt on wrong since you say that you've suddenly started having power steering problems...if you find that it is properly installed, you can get a can of belt dressing to spray on the pulleys every once in a while that should help with the squealing
1995 plymouth voyager van squealing after serpentine belt change?
Try to pour some pop on the belt... If the squealing goes away, you know it is the belt. If the noise is still there, then it points to a pulley gone bad. Grab the belt and see how much you can pull it. to much pull and it is to loose. The best thing you can do though would be to take it back to Jiffy Lube and let them know the problem and when it started..
It sounds like the belt tensioner is not working properly.If it doesn't keep the tension on the belt it will squeal.Also check the level of the power steering fluid.
loose power steering belt?

No comments:

Post a Comment