Thursday, October 6, 2011

I've replaced my serpentine belt 3 times now and the belt keeps shredding. Pulleys are all good. Why is that?

I have a 2000 olds silhouette, runs perfect until the serpentine belt started fouling up. it appears all pulleys are great, no brackets in the way, belt in line with pulleys, I even changed the tensioner system, it didn't make a difference, the belt still messed up.What could make something like this happen? Help....I need answers!
I've replaced my serpentine belt 3 times now and the belt keeps shredding. Pulleys are all good. Why is that?
I think it is likely that the belt is not being installed with the correct tension.
I've replaced my serpentine belt 3 times now and the belt keeps shredding. Pulleys are all good. Why is that?
whats probably happening is one of the pulleys is slightly off a little ,not enough to notice,but when its running ,this causes it to come a tooth over and it shred's the edges of the belt causing it to break,i just got done doing a Chevy truck that the guy had put 5 belts on,and he refused to believe he had a warped pulley until i showed it to him,now it doesn't do it any more,you can put them on strait,but if all the pulleys aren't perfect on them it will fray the edges of the belt up real bad,good luck with it.
Check that all of your pulleys except for the bottom one are spinning freely. the most likely is that your AC compressor is locked up to check this turn the key on engine off and put your AC on max. This will engage the clutch you should be able to turn the pulley with some effort.
1; Wrong belt



2; Check closer with a straight edge and then watch while it is running, something is out of line.
  • graphics animation
  • web page host
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment